Monday, May 10, 2010

Headboard

In an attempt to build the heaviest headboard I could think of, I decided to build one from laminated scrap wood lying around my dad's shop.  So I raided my dad's shelves and cut everything down to 2" strips.  Then we built a little jig, stocked up on wood glue, and went to work assembling (as seen in video form below.)  Let it dry for a while and next trip home I did some serious sanding.  It's a bit of a beast and weighs a ton, but looks awesome.  

Materials:

Source:

Location:

Mock up:

Build Video:  I've been kind of obsessed with time-lapse video's lately and the headboard assembly was the perfect opportunity to experiment.  I set up my camera to take a picture every 3 seconds.  The build ended up taking us about 4.5 hours leaving me with about 4300 stills.  Everything came together quite nicely.  (FYI:  It was built upside down.  The hole will be covered by the bed.)



Sanding Video:  After trimming the edges and lots-o-sanding, it's starting to look finished.  Just have to seal and finish it now.  
Headboard_Sanding from Tyler Lundberg on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment